Woodfibre LNG gives back to the community
June 19, 2019
$42,500 in grants awarded to Squamish community groups
SQUAMISH, BC – Last night at the Squamish Adventure Centre, Woodfibre LNG Limited presented 13 awards as part of its spring/summer Community Sponsorship Program.
David Keane, Woodfibre LNG President, presented the awards and commented that: “Woodfibre LNG is proud to support some of the charities and community groups that play such an important role in contributing to the vibrant and growing community of Squamish and I am personally excited about the opportunities the Woodfibre LNG project will offer this local community. It has always been (and remains to date), a priority for us to provide benefits and employment opportunities for people who live in Squamish.”
The 13 local recipients and details of what the grants will be used for are below:
1. Squamish Pirates Swim Club: $2,500 to buy swim equipment.
2. Axemen Rugby Club: $2,000 to support setting up a women’s section with the club.
3. Howe Sound Minor Ball: $5,000 to create a year round batting/pitching cage.
4. Sea to Sky Community Services Society: $5,000 towards their respite program.
5. Howe Sound Secondary School Robotics: $5,000 to help buy parts and equipment.
6. Squamish Mountain Bike Festival Society: $3,500 to maintain and build new trails.
7. Squamish Youth Soccer Association: $2,500 towards building change areas and washrooms.
8. Squamish Hospital Foundation: $3,000 to support six nurses to complete the ACoRN program (designed to teach neonatal stabilization).
9. Pride Squamish: $5,000 towards safety personnel, ASL interpreters and wheelchair viewing stations for their upcoming walk.
10. Sea to Sky Forestry Centre Society: $1,500 to support installing a presentation centre.
11. Squamish Lions Club: $2,500 towards roof repair and a new grill.
12. Britannia Beach Community Association: $5,000 towards dock repair from the storm last year.
13. 835 Griffin Squadron of the Royal Canadian Air Cadets: $2,500 to provide ground school training for senior cadets and familiarization flying and gliding for all cadets.
The Community Sponsorship Program is just one part of Woodfibre LNG Limited’s commitment to give back to the Squamish community. Since 2013, Woodfibre LNG has contributed over $750,000 (including through the Community Sponsorship Program grants) to groups and events that help make Squamish such a vibrant community.
The program will open again for sponsorship requests in the fall and will see Woodfibre LNG donate more grants to more community groups and charities in Squamish.
Woodifbre LNG hopes to announce its Final Investment Decision this summer and construction will start later in the year. Once the facility is completed in 2023, the LNG produced will be the cleanest in the world.
Woodfibre LNG Limited
The Woodfibre LNG Project is located approximately 7 km west-southwest of Squamish, British Columbia. It involves the construction and operation of a liquefied natural gas (LNG) export facility on the previous Woodfibre pulp mill site, which would have a storage capacity of 250,000 m3 and would produce approximately 2.1 million tonnes per year of LNG. Woodfibre LNG Limited is a privately held Canadian company based in Vancouver, and a subsidiary of Pacific Oil & Gas Limited.